This one-year program is for students from outside the United States and Canada who already have theological training and wish to pursue a year of advanced study in the United States. The program provides an opportunity for theological work beyond what may be available in the students’ home contexts and can be tailored to their particular needs. To preserve the greatest degree of flexibility to meet individual student needs, the requirements for the diploma are minimal. All course work must be completed in one year of full-time study.
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 24 semester hours of credit
- At least 18 credits must be taken at United.
- Two courses (6 cr) may be taken at the Minnesota Consortium of Theological Schools or the University of Minnesota in the fields of Bible, history, theology, ethics and church leadership.
- Involvement in the life of the seminary and, where appropriate, participation in local church life
- Recommendation by the faculty
- Spoken and written English language proficiency
- Previous study of theology in a theological school approved by the student’s denomination
- Recommendation by the student’s denomination
- Evidence of sufficient personal and social stability to profit from studies at United
How to Apply
- Submit the Application for Admission and Scholarship.
- Provide copies of all academic records, including a statement by a school official regarding the U.S. equivalent of your highest level of academic achievement (e.g., Bachelor of Arts, three years of college, one year of graduate study, etc.).
- If you are a non-native speaker of English, supply a copy of your test score for TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).
- Supply five recommendations. Recommendation Form
- Provide a report of your recent medical examination by a physician approved by a sponsoring church official.
- If you are applying for the Campbell Scholarship, submit the Scholarship Agreement Form (PDF).
- Supply a letter of reference from an endorsing church official (see details in Scholarship Agreement Form).
Application deadline: December 1 for the following academic year