The concentration prepares leaders to be powerful agents for social change. Grounded in the prophetic tradition of justice and the biblical mandate to set at liberty those who are oppressed, the concentration provides the theological, strategic, analytical and practical skills for effective ministries of social transformation. Designed to prepare faithful leaders for the world, students acquire the skills and competencies for transformational leadership in congregational, community, nonprofit, political, educational, corporate and other organizational settings.
If justice is your calling, if you seek to change the world, if your faith stirs within you a prophetic imagination for the Beloved Community, this concentration is for you.
- Foundational courses
- Thesis (M.A.)
- Topic must be related to social transformation (6 cr)
- Elective courses
- M.A., M.A.R.L.: Two electives (6 cr)
- M.Div.: Three electives (9 cr)
- Elective courses may be selected from those approved for this concentration, or students may ask a faculty member to include a track in another course that explicitly addresses one or more of the concentration educational outcomes (faculty have discretion to decide if tracking is appropriate for a given course). If the faculty member agrees, some course readings and/or assignments would be tailored to allow the course to meet a concentration elective requirement; this would be noted on the registration form.
Requirements for the D.Min.
- Public Theology for Social Transformation EL210-DM (4 cr)*
- Advanced course in social transformation leadership and strategies TBA (4 cr)*
*Please contact the instructor before the first class session to discuss readings and assignments.